What a General Dentist Exam Involves
Posted by Osuna Dental Care Dec 14, 2021
A general dentist provides a broad range of preventative and restorative dental care for people of all ages. At Osuna Dental Care, this includes regular exams, cleanings, and x-rays to detect and prevent cavities and other oral health problems. It also means educating patients about how to care for their teeth at home between appointments. Good oral hygiene habits can prevent decay and gum disease. This keeps smiles healthy for life.
While children are more likely to receive fluoride treatments and sealants, adults can receive many of the same treatments to maintain optimal oral health. Patients who visit a general dentist receive a thorough examination and x-rays. This enables the dentist to identify and diagnose potential problems and create a customized treatment plan for each patient.
Why Are Regular Visits To The Dentist Important?
When you visit your general dentist, you get more than just someone to look at your teeth. Your regular visits with your dentist are an essential part of your overall health. Here are a few reasons why.
- Screening for oral cancer
- Cleanings to remove plaque buildup and tartar from your teeth. This helps to prevent decay and gum disease and keep your mouth healthy.
- X-rays of your mouth so we can look for signs of cavities or other issues that may be hidden or hard to find during a visual exam.
- Exams to detect symptoms of potential oral health issues affecting the rest of your body. Some of the most common symptoms include dry mouth and bad breath.
The Advantages of Dental Exams
- Preventing dental problems is vital, and a general dentist can help you. We recommend patients come into our office every six months for routine exams and cleanings. These appointments allow us to catch problems while they’re still small and easy to fix. Unfortunately, some people don’t notice symptoms until the situation has become severe and requires lengthy treatment.
- Because we offer so many services to our patients, we usually refer them to specialists if they need more specialized care. For example, if you need root canal therapy, we’ll refer you to a trusted endodontist who will provide you with the compassionate care you need during this challenging procedure. Your family dentist will also work with your orthodontist to ensure you receive the best care possible when it comes to straightening your teeth with braces and other appliances. When you rely on us for your dental care, you can rest assured that you receive top-quality dental treatment.
A general dentist can diagnose and treat most issues with your teeth or gums, saving you the time and hassle of running to a specialist for care. For the best dental care, visit Osuna Dental Care at 8400 Osuna Rd NE #5A, Albuquerque, NM 87111, or call (505) 884-1989.